Not A Citizen
Of The UK?

You can still train to become a teacher in England if you are not a UK citizen. However, there are some details you need to be aware of before applying.

Guiseppe Writing
Zed 2

Joining Now Teach

We fully embrace applications from non-UK citizens. We are firm believers that a diverse teaching community is important for pupil's understanding of the world and having people of different nationalities is integral to this.

Before you can join our network however you must be eligible to work and have the correct qualifications to train to teach.

Qualification Equivalency

All applicants must meet the following legal entry requirements to get into teaching:

  • Maths and English GCSEs at C or above.
  • If you studied outside of the UK, equivalent qualifications must be approved by ENIC-NARIC.
  • An undergraduate degree.

Read here for more details on the Statement of Comparability.

Financial Support

If you’re applying for teacher training as a non-UK citizen, you may be able to get some financial support from the UK government.

Your eligibility for support will depend on your immigration status and choice of subject. 

There are 3 types of financial support you can get if you’re interested in training to teach languages and physics:

  • an international relocation payment worth £10,000 for languages and physics*
  • bursaries worth up to £27,000 for languages and physics
  • scholarships worth up to £29,000 for French, German, Spanish and physics

There are also further maintenance loans and tuition fee loans available if you have the right immigration status.

Read here for more details on the financial support available.

*dependent on completion of QTS and years taught post-qualification.

Guiseppe Marzano -A New Challenge