Reports to: Maria Floud, Recruitment & Marketing Director
Start Date: Early December
Location: Home Based, with regular working days in London
Salary: From £35k to £40k FTE depending on experience and qualifications (+11% employer pension contribution)
About Now Teach
Our long-term vision is a world where children benefit because talented people, who’ve already had successful careers, become teachers, and bring their skills and experiences to the schools that need them most. We support Now Teachers, training providers, schools, and the wider education system to realise the full potential of career-changers in education.
Career-changers bring new experiences into the classroom, but they often need support to complete their training and stay in teaching. We offer Now Teachers one-to-one support, alongside a comprehensive structured programme helping them change career successfully. This support continues after they’ve completed their training, and the Now Teach Network is there to help make the most of their experience and skills as career-changers.
Our support helps Now Teachers stay in teaching: our retention rate is almost twice the national average for 40–65-year-olds. Over 90% of our cohort are satisfied or very satisfied with the support they get from Now Teach.
We have a strong brand, a robust, efficient selection process, and a programme of wrap around support that has been honed over several cohorts. Since 2016, over 11,000 people have expressed interest in joining Now Teach and we have recruited over 500 career changers with significant industry experience into teaching. In September 2021, we welcomed our largest cohort of trainees.
We are looking for driven and committed people to help us meet new goals, increase our Network and create more impact in schools.
Working at Now Teach
“The workplace culture is extremely friendly, collaborative and supportive. It is full of people that want to do their best work and enable colleagues to do their best work but to have a pleasant time while doing so. There is also a training budget, good line management and plenty of room for people to take responsibility.” (Team member, Apr 2021)
Our people join and stay because they value Now Teach’s flexibility, close-knit team culture and social purpose. 33% of employees at all levels of the organisation work part time and everyone works flexibly, with time off in lieu part of our standard working practices.
We are a small, collaborative, and supportive team of around 20 people. We are non-hierarchical, with 95% of our people believing their line managers listen and value their opinions and people of all levels getting stuck in. We set clear expectations and celebrate the successes of teams and individuals. 100% of our employees were proud to work at Now Teach, 100% think Now Teach is considerate of their wellbeing and 90% of them would actively recommend Now Teach as an employer.
Our culture is central to us encouraging and supporting people into teaching. Without our positive, honest, and flexible approach we wouldn’t be able to adapt to meet the needs of Now Teachers. We have been named as one of Working Mums’ Top Employers and Escape The City’s Top 100 Employers in 2020. We have won awards for our Culture, Flexible Working and Excellence in Public Service. As well as flexible working and a great culture, we offer 28 days annual leave per year, which includes 3 days for Christmas closure (25th Dec-1st January) and a generous 11% pension contribution.
We are looking for a positive, collaborative, and inspiring Recruitment Manager who is committed to Now Teach’s vision. We work to attract, recruit, and help retain career changers in secondary school teaching. Our new Recruitment Manager must have a strong track record in volume recruitment and have an exceptional candidate experience and ability to manage a team well as their first priorities.
Our Recruitment Manager will lead a well-established, experienced team of Recruitment Advisors and a freelance support team to deliver 450 career changers to teaching in the next two years (200 for Sep 2022). They need to manage pivotal projects such as the implementation of an Applicant Tracking System, monthly marketing recruitment events, and be the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion lead for recruitment.
It’s a fantastic time to join Now Teach as we continue to grow our brand and impact in schools. We need someone who has candidate experience, process efficiency and innovation at the heart of what they do. Our Recruitment Manager will enjoy the challenge of doing something new in the market in a supportive team and environment where red tape does not exist.
- Lead and inspire a small recruitment team, and team of freelancers, ensuring everyone is engaged, high performing and happy
- Be responsible for ensuring the candidate pipeline is diverse and strong with candidates moving through our process with pace, quality and efficiently
- Manage our recruitment budget effectively throughout the season, ensuring value for money and forecasting spend for the following season
- Lead our freelance recruitment support team: recruiting, onboarding, and managing a strong pool of high-quality advisors and interviewers
- Project manage and host (online and in person) monthly recruitment marketing events each with circa 100 attendees
- Become an expert in the teacher training market, stay up to date in education and build a network of relevant training provider or education relationships
- Work collaboratively with other teams across Now Teach ensuring we are aligned
- Work to refine our expression of interest strategy so that we build a strong talent pool for future years and convert as many as possible to application for this season
- Maintain dashboards & reports on our current recruitment software (Salesforce), ensuring pipelines and data are accurate
- Lead a project to implement a new Applicant Tracking System in summer 2022 and continue our work to keep prioritising Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion of our hires
The ideal candidate will:
- Be committed to the belief that children’s outcomes ought not be determined by their backgrounds and appreciate the impact teachers can make
- Have examples of where they have been excellent at leading and coaching their team members to deliver
- Have strong recruitment experience, either high-volume recruitment or experienced hires, and a proven track record of candidate care, working with pace and efficiency to hit ambitious targets
- Actively seek out ways to improve how we do things using great judgement.
- Have a can-do attitude and be unstoppable in bringing clarity and driving candidates through with style and ease
- Be skilful at providing down to earth, insightful, and appropriate persuasive communications
- Have hands-on experience with Applicant Tracking and/or CRM systems for candidates as well as a strong grasp on how to use recruitment data well
- Be up for the challenge of doing something new in the market knowing that fantastic candidate experience, having a strong team and efficient process will be essential.
Essential competencies –
- Strong recruitment skill and experience
- Excellent leadership, friendly, supportive and likable team player
- Robust communication, polished presenting skills and relationship building
- Logical decision-making ability whilst being adaptable and operating well despite ambiguity
- Brilliant judgement with priorities and organised
This is intended as a full-time role, but flexible working patterns are possible. Now Teach staff are primarily working from home due to Covid-19 and will be until at least January 2022. Some London office based regular scheduled days may be required.
To apply, please send a Cover Letter (no more than 1 side of A4) and CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Cover Letter should include why you are attracted to the role, why you are motivated to work at Now Teach and what you can bring to the team.
Deadline for applications is 9am on Monday 1 November; however, interviews will happen on a rolling basis, so early applications are strongly encouraged.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Now Teach strives to be a workplace that is diverse, equitable and inclusive where we can ALL be ourselves. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, ages, gender identities, stages of life and those with hidden or visible disabilities.
We are committed to providing reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process and we’ll endeavour to be as accommodating as possible. If you would like to discuss specific requirements, please contact email@example.com or call 020 7430 8878 and ask to speak to the Ops Team.
All applicants must have an existing Right to Work in the UK.
Safe Recruitment Procedure
Now Teach are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. To meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process, and all successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
References from the previous and current employer will be taken up for shortlisted candidates, and where necessary employers may be contacted to gather further information.
All new staff will be subject to a probation period of 3 months (which may, in certain circumstances, be extended). The probation period is a trial period, to enable the assessment of an employee’s suitability for the job for which they have been employed.