Reports to: Executive Director
Start Date: October/November 2019
Location: Central London
Salary: Competitive depending on experience and qualifications. Open to flexible and part time working.
(+11% employer pension contribution)
ABOUT NOW TEACH
Now Teach brings experienced professionals into teaching.
Lives and careers are lasting longer. Now Teach is unique in offering experienced professionals from industry and business a structured pathway into teaching and bespoke support to help them thrive in the classroom for the long term. We support them through their careers to ensure they stay in education making a lasting positive impact. Our aim is to address the crisis of recruitment and retention in the teaching profession, to ensure the students who need it most, get the best education possible.
We aim to draw on the experience our teachers have from successful careers in industry and the public sector to inform the future direction of our education system and the teaching profession. Now Teachers have been partners of law firms, journalists, consultants, and finance leaders amongst many other diverse careers.
In the first three years of operation, Now Teach has attracted 6000 expressions of interest and we have successfully recruited over 200 career changers into teaching. We have built a support programme to retain these teachers, reaching over 80% retention rate with 2018’s cohort. Our funding is from the Department for Education and philanthropic sources, allowing us to make an impact at a time when money in the profession is tight. We have expanded beyond our original region of London and Hastings to two additional regions across the UK (the West Midlands and East Anglia) and we are continuing to establish ourselves as a significant player in the sector.
We have a vacancy for a driven, positive and highly organised Head of Operations and Finance who will support the Executive Director of Now Teach to build on the progress made since launch and establish itself as an organisation that can deliver its vision and mission at scale.
The role is a leadership position, working with the Executive Director to deliver all strategic financial and business planning, operations and budget management. You will be responsible for ensuring efficient processes and systems are established to support operational delivery alongside managing the HR, legal, IT and office functions of Now Teach. The role will also support the Executive Director to ensure successful fundraising and management of all key stakeholders including the DfE, Ark, and the Board. You will be in a unique position to help shape Now Teach as we grow.
We need someone who is confident, can work with multiple different stakeholders and efficiently drive delivery of projects and work through to completion. You may have held previous positions as a Qualified Accountant, Consultant, Operations or Finance Manager in an SME, Charity, Education or large organisation.
You will join a friendly and ambitious team at a unique time to scale Now Teach to the next level.
Organisational Strategy & Growth
- Support the design and delivery of an ambitious strategy and plan for the organisation, supported by a clear business plan and budget
- Support setting up and monitoring of comprehensive goals/targets for performance, growth and impact
- Support the development of robust structures, systems and processes as the organisation grows
- Develop and manage the annual budget with input from the Executive Director, Finance Sub-committee and the senior management team;
- Ensure that accurate and efficient financial processes are in place for the organisation to oversee and monitor all income and expenditure
- Prepare financial and other monitoring reports for statutory funders and other major donors;
Fundraising / Corporate Partnerships
- Support the Executive Director in fundraising ventures including identifying potential funders, supporting applications and managing the funding pipeline
- Work with the Executive Chair and Executive Director to develop strong corporate partnerships in order to support recruitment activities and fundraising
Operational & office management
- Responsible for the management and development of the operations team consisting of the Operations Officer and Programme & Operations Coordinator
- Oversee daily office management of the organisation
- Co-ordinate the IT needs of the organisation
People Management (HR)
- Execute the HR activities of the organisation
- Support the ongoing establishment of a culture of excellence for recruitment, development and retention of high-quality employees
DfE Contract Management
- Support with the ongoing operation of the DfE contract including reporting and monitoring of contract delivery
Legal and Compliance
- Lead on all legal areas for the team including the contractual arrangements with all partners (training providers and schools)
- Ensure Now Teach processes are GDPR compliant
- Own and manage all policies and procedures within Now Teach
- Ensure compliance with all Ark Board/ Charity Commission and Companies House legal, financial and organisational requirements
- Support the Chair of Trustees and the Executive Director in preparing for and running Board Meetings
- Manage the accounts and legal requirements for trading
- Work across the organisation to evaluate the impact of Now Teach in line with the theory of change
- Develop and manage the impact measurement plan and strategy
- Lead on the reporting of impact and management of data for stakeholders
Role specific knowledge and skills
The ideal candidate will:
- Be committed to the Now Teach vision and mission
- Be a driven and results focused leader with management experience
- Be an excellent team leader and team player who can motivate and inspire the team
- Have a collaborative ‘can-do’ attitude, looking for solutions in the face of adversity
- Demonstrate great personal organisation, and attention to detail
- Have strong stakeholder management skills
- Have superb written and verbal communication skills and an excellent academic background
- Be able to deal with sensitive situations and demonstrate strict confidentiality
- Possess strong emotional intelligence as communication and decision-making will impact all areas of Now Teach
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience of strategic financial management and business modelling
- Experience of budget setting and management
- Project management experience (desired)
- Experience of data protection and GDPR (desired)
- Knowledge of HR management (desired)
- Experience of charity governance and legislation (desired)
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Please send a CV and a cover letter detailing why you would be a great fit for the role to email@example.com
Recruitment will be on a rolling basis without a formal deadline.
We will progress candidates as they apply and close the role when complete.
Full time/Part time
Safe Recruitment Procedure
Now Teach and Ark are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process and all successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Only those candidates meeting the right criteria will be taken forward from application..
Shortlisted candidates will be subject to an interview in Central London.
References from the previous and current employer will be taken up for shortlisted candidates, and where necessary employers may be contacted to gather further information.
All new staff will be subject to a probation period of 3 months (which may, in certain circumstances, be extended by up to 10 weeks). The probation period is a trial period, to enable the assessment of an employee’s suitability for the job for which they have been employed.