Now Teach provides a route for experienced people to successfully retrain as secondary school teachers and stay in the sector for the long-term.
We are looking for enthusiastic professionals to join our network of career-changers, redeploying their knowledge, skills and experience in the classroom.
We encourage applications from anyone who brings significant career experience into teaching. We have Now Teachers working across secondary subjects. We can support and increase any career changers chances of getting and staying into teaching irrespective of their subject.
Now Teach is a competitive programme and our application process will identify if Now Teach is right for you. We recommend attending our events, viewing our webinars or getting in touch if you have any questions. We encourage you to apply and we will support you through the process to become a trainee teacher.
Our eligibility criteria
We are not looking for people with significant experience of teaching or working in schools; you may never have thought about being a teacher before. However, successful Now Teach applicants may be organising school visits, or volunteering in secondary schools and show a motivation to working with and inspiring young people.
Now Teach recruits, advises and supports people changing career to become teachers. We are looking for applicants whose career and experience will bring valuable skills to schools and the Now Teach network. Previous career success could include one or more of the following:
- Management, progression or impact in your career
- A portfolio career
- Evidence of overcoming challenge
- Technical expertise.
Applicants must have the following:
- Maths and English GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications from outside the UK, as judged by ENIC-NARIC)
- A degree
- Strong A-level or Honours degree in the subject you want to teach
To be eligible for a government bursary in certain subjects candidates must have:
- A 2:2 or above at undergraduate degree level or have a Masters/PhD
- Been living in the UK or another EEA country for at least three years prior to starting your teacher training.
We also consider
- Your motivation to teach, especially in a secondary school and interest in being in our Now Teach network
- Evidence that you understand the role of a teacher and have the appetite to start over again and learn a new craft
- Your motivation to working with young people. You may have shown this by volunteering with a youth club, a sports team or tutoring
- Any observations or voluntary work in school you have done or have planned
- Your ability to communicate with clarity to all audiences and have exceptional English language ability
- Your potential to have presence within a classroom; inspiring students to broaden their aspirations and interest in your subject.